Gustavo Placeres is a licensed realtor with over 19 years experience and the owner of Gus Buys Houses, a company that buys homes in the DC and surrounding areas of Maryland and Virginia. He credits his experience of working in the mortgage industry for introducing him to the world of real estate investing. His business was badly hit by the crash, but his passion never ceased and served to let him have his own comeback story.
Today, Gustavo joins me to share the story of how he revived his business after the crash. He shares what his company was like before the crash and the challenges he endured when it finally happened. He describes how he got back on his feet and how he found his groove again in this industry. He also discusses some of the strategies he’s learned in getting leads as well as shares his thoughts on gurus and paid online courses.
“The freedom this business offers is really what I’ve always loved.” – Gustavo Placeres
On Today’s Episode of Flip Talk:
- Learning about real estate through mortgage experience.
- What his career looked like before and after the 2008 crash.
- The similarities between Gustavo’s and Don’s careers.
- The result of his first deal and his worst deal ever.
- How he recovered from losing it all when the market crashed.
- His business focus today and his recent investments.
- The different strategies he employs to get leads.
- His thoughts on investing in expensive real estate courses.
Gustavo’s Tips for Getting into Real Estate Investing:
- Tasting success in real estate, no matter how small, will make you forget about going back to a 9-5 job.
- Do not quit your job for real estate unless you have a year’s worth of money for expenses.
- Joining online real estate groups is a cheap alternative to coughing up your savings for a course.
Connect with Gustavo Placeres:
- Gus Buys Houses
- Phone: (240) 817-4185
Rate, Review, Learn and Share
Thanks for tuning into the FlipTalk podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and want to learn even more about what it takes to build a 7-figure real estate business, head over to iTunes and subscribe to the show. Don’t forget to tune into our other shows: FlipTalk’s Rookie Play Book and FlipTalk’s REI Round Table. Share your favorite episodes on social media to help other new investors learn what it takes to grow a successful business in the real estate investing industry.